Tuesday, April 05, 2005

How much yarn is too little?

I just cast on for Bad Penny this weekend, and after a series of mistarts involving my lack of counting ability, and failing to realize the pattern was top down and therefore casting on in the wrong yarn, I'm finally on my way. Here's the thing though--I'm really quite concerned about the amount of yarn I'm using. I'm making the second smallest size, which calls for 4 balls of the yarn in the main body. I'm about 3/4 of the way through the raglan increases, and estimate that I'll finish my second ball by the time I finish those.

Does that sound about right? Should have the yarn be enough for the body? I've never done a top down raglan before, so I realize it could be just that I'm not used to doing the widest part of the sweater first, but I'm getting a bit nervous.

3 Comments:

Blogger Jennifer said...

I used up a lot of yarn in the beginning with the increases. The yarn usage really goes down after you take off the sleeves and just knit straight around the body. Plus, a lot of the body is the bottom ribbing. You should probably be fine. If you are really concerned you could try to get another ball of yarn, but that could be hard matching dyelots.

7:09 AM  
Blogger wittyknits said...

Yeah, unfortunately, the LYS where I got the yarn closed a week after I got it, and it was on clearance anyway when I bought it. I think I'll be ok though--I did some fancy math after posting last night and it'll be close, but I should be ok. Thanks though--I needed someone to tell me my theory wasn't off base!

7:53 AM  
Blogger D said...

Worst case scenario, you may have to have a larger bottom banding. I think that will look nice also :)

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home


Free hit counter